Ravenna Township

3770 Blackmer Road, Ravenna Michigan 49451

Michigan Law requires all dogs 4 months and older to be licensed. Also, all newly acquired dogs must be licensed within 30 days. As of October 1, 2011, the due date for purchasing your Muskegon County dog license is now linked with the month of your dog’s rabies vaccination. In addition, three year old dog licenses are now available.
When does my dog license expire?

  • If you do not purchase your dog license in the MONTH of the rabies vaccination it will be considered late, and a late fee will be added to the price of the license.

Which license can I buy?

  • If your dog’s rabies vaccination expires in 2014 or 2015, then you are eligible to purchase a one year license with proof of a valid rabies vaccination.
  • If your dog’s rabies vaccination expires in 2016, then you are eligible to purchase a one or three year license with proof of a valid rabies vaccination.

How much do dog licenses cost?

Type of license

1 year license

3 year license

Late Fees

Male/Female (Non-Neutered)



See below for
late fees***




Senior Citizen (62 or older)*







Puppy License (4-7 months)**



* You must provide your birth date on the application to qualify for discount
** The puppy license must be purchased on time, or late fees also apply
*** A license is considered late if not purchased in the same MONTH that the rabies vaccination expires.
The late fee is the dog license plus $5 for the first month late and $10 per month for each additional month late.

How do I apply for a dog license?

  • Fill out and print the dog license application at the bottom of this page that can be opened and printed as a PDF form.
  • Attach a copy of the current rabies certificate from your veterinarian.
  • Attach a copy of the spay/neuter certificate, if applicable.
  • Include a check or money order made out to Muskegon County Treasurer.
  • Bring all of the above to the Ravenna Township Office at 3770 Blackmer in the Village of Ravenna.  Please be aware that credit and debit cards are NOT accepted.


Is the dog tag the metal license?

No. The metal dog tag is used to identify your dog. It is not the license. The license is the paperwork you receive after completing the application. You should save the paperwork until that license expires.

How do I get a replacement dog tag?
If you lose the dog tag (or the paper license) you can get a replacement at no charge. You will need to request the replacement in person through the Muskegon County Treasurer’s Office (173 E Apple Ave). Hours are Monday-Friday 8am-4:45pm.

What if I no longer have the dog?
If you no longer have the dog, please call us at (231)724-6261. Let us know if your dog is deceased, sold, given away, stolen or missing, or if you have moved out of the county. This will prevent us from sending delinquent notices for a dog you no longer have.

What else should dog owners know?

  • License – License your dog and renew the license when it expires
  • Leash – Control your dog with a leash, not more than 6 feet long, when in public places
  • Vaccinate – Keep your dog’s vaccinations, especially rabies, up-to-date
  • Don’t Litter – Clean up after your dog and properly dispose of pet waste
  • Prevent bites – Avoid situations that may result in your dog biting someone. If a dog bite occurs, please call (231)724-1288
  • Spay/Neuter – Spay/neuter your dog to control the over- population of unwanted animals